Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Brandy Station
June 9, 1863 Stevensburg Area
At 12:30 Col. Butler and Farley (JEB Stuart's chief aide) came back across Mt. Run, being the last to do so. Butler made the comment "We were experiencing the first break in action since early morning, as the enemy is making no move against us."
When Duffie discovered horses could not cross Mt. Run as the crossing was protected by a cannon (12-pounder) plus a trench (canal) protected riflemen, he decided not to attempt the crossing, but instead sent a flanking force (on foot) down stream to find a suitable crossing and force the group guarding
The small stream, across Mt. Run from here, entering Mt. Run from the slopes of Hansboro Ridge, makes an easy entry into Mt. Run (as you can observe) and the resulting gravel bar (also observable) makes a shallow water crossing.
This is the site where the Union flanking force came to cross Mt. Run and initiate their move against the force at the ford. A canal (1815, to power a saw-mill) ran the entire length of the bottomland and was now used as a trench by the Confederates. The flag north of here (notice) is the location of the canal. There riflemen, protected by the trench, created a serious problem for the Union flanking force. More than 200 bullets have been recovered from along the route of the canal. Bullets recovered from the area where you are standing verified the Union crossing site.
About mid-afternoon Duffie received orders from Brandy Station (Pleasanton) to withdraw, retrace his steps back to the Peola Mill Road and come into Brandy Station by the route Gregg had taken. Duffie immediately withdrew his force and started for Brandy Station. He arrived there around 4PM, only to find that Pleasanton had stopped the fighting and was now in the process of moving his troops back across the Rappahannock River to Remington. Pleasanton had given up on Duffie.
This small force, (mostly 4th Virginia Cavalry with
Virginia Senat Document No. 3
"Had Duffie arrived in Brandy Station in time, the outcome of the battle might not have been effectively a draw." The holding action at Mt. Run probably determined the outcome of the day long battle at Brandy Station.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1863.
Location. 38° 27.619′ N, 77° 53.472′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker can be reached from Stevensburg Road south of Coles Hill Road, on the left when traveling south. Located in Lenn Park on a gravel path near the Lenn Park model airplane airpark. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18063 Stevensburg Road, Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Norman's Mills Ford (approx. half a mile away); The Hold at Mountain Run (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hansborough Ridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welcome to Historic Stevensburg, Virginia (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandy Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.