Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels
Church of the Resurrection
On June 15 1922, the Most Reverend Michael J. Gallagher, bishop of Detroit, sent Father John A. Gabriels to Lansing to establish a Catholic parish east of the Pere Marquette railroad tracks that would include East Lansing, Okemos and Haslett. Father Gabriels named the parish Resurrection because he believed this was the most important event in Christian life and the cornerstone of Christianity. He celebrated the first Mass on Christmas morning 1922 in the basement church, which would become a school. In 1926 two stories were added with classrooms for eight grades. Five Dominican sisters were the first teachers. Parishioners worshiped in the basement church until the present church was built in 1952.
Monsignor John A. Gabriels
In 1906 John A. Gabriels (1881-1960) was ordained a Catholic priest. In 1922 he came from Detroit to establish a new parish and become chaplain of the Boys Vocational School. He became a highly respected citizen of Lansing. He was chaplain of the Michigan State Police, a member of the Knights of Columbus, Chamber of Commerce, a popular Old Newsboy, and established
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1632.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.014′ N, 84° 31.724′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on E. Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1529 East Michigan Ave, Lansing MI 48912, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michigan National Guard Armory / 119th Field Artillery (approx. ¼ mile away); Lansing Fire Station No. 8 (approx. half a mile away); Union Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ransom Eli Olds / Curved Dash Oldsmobile (approx. one mile away); The Grand River / Grand River History Michigan Pharmacists Association (approx. one mile away); First Olds Horseless Carriage (approx. one mile away); Ransom Eli Olds Breakthrough (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Regarding Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels. This Marker describes both the Church of the Resurrection and its first priest.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Women •
More. Search the internet for Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 4. submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.