Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Nogales 1791

 
 
Fort Nogales 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
1. Fort Nogales 1791 Marker
Inscription.  Fort Nogales, which was the first settlement at Vicksburg, was established by the Spaniards on this spot in 1791. In 1798, it passed from the possession of Spain to the United States and was re-named Fort McHenry. It was used as a Confederate fort during the Civil War.
 
Erected 1926 by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Mississippi.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
 
Location. 32° 22.286′ N, 90° 52.322′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on North Washington Street (Business U.S. 61) 1.3 miles 1st East Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Nogales (a few steps from this marker); C.S. Johnston's Company, (approx. 0.2
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles away); Explore the Defenses (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Stronghold on the Bluffs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tennessee River Batteries (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iowa 31st Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Campaign, Siege and Defense of Vicksburg, 1863. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iowa 2nd Brig.; (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Nogales 1791. The fort was located on Fort Hill (formerly Walnut Hill). It had 12 cannon facing the river, and four howitzers in blockhouses racing the rear, with a powder magazine, commander's house, and barracks for 200 men. About 1000 yards to the rear was square-palisade Fort Mount Vigie, and about 400 yards to the right and left were two blockhouses, Fort Gayoso and Fort Ignatius. A blockhouse named Fort Sugarloaf was on a hill across a creek.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Wiki on Fort Nogales. (Submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Mural of former Fort Nogales. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
2. Mural of former Fort Nogales.
Mural located on Mississippi River levee wall, about 1.5 miles south.
Fort Nogales 1791 and another Fort Nogales marker, along with several cannons. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 25, 2017
3. Fort Nogales 1791 and another Fort Nogales marker, along with several cannons.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103759

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024