Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
When John Bankhead Magruder first came to the Peninsula in May 1861, it was R.D. Lee who showed him the Warwick River and how it could become the Confederate main line of defense. Magruder used Lee Hall as one of his headquarters buildings during his year-long command of the self-styled Army of the Peninsula.
When the Peninsula Campaign’s Warwick – Yorktown Siege entered into its second week, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and the
Once in command on the Peninsula, Joe Johnston reorganized the Confederate command structure. Magruder was basically demoted from army to divisional commander, in charge of the Confederate right wing from Dam No. 1 to Mulberry Island. Three other generals now outranked him on the Peninsula which was particularly irksome to Prince John Magruder. No longer the lead actor, Magruder began to sulk in his re-established headquarters at Lee Hall, criticizing the design and armament of the very defenses he had developed.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 12, 1861.
Location. 37° 12.028′ N, 76° 34.447′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lee Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); An Earthwork in Front (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Master and Slaves (about 400 feet away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (about 400 feet away); A Large Brick Kitchen (about 600 feet away); Homestead by the Main Road (about 600 feet away); Lee Hall Village (approx. half a mile away); Lee Hall Depot (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. The marker contains photographs of the two generals who headquartered at Lee Hall, Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder, CSA and Gen. Joseph Eggleston Johnston, CSA – Courtesy of Museum of the Confederacy.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located at Lee Hall.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
3. Tidewater Virginia, The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
4. Lee Hall. (PDF) National Register documentation for Lee Hall. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,067 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.