Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Williamson

 
 
Camp Williamson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Camp Williamson Marker
Inscription.  In 1906 the Vicksburg Business League purchased nearly sixty acres of land and grading, one quarter mile east of this site, to attract a proposed National Guard rifle range. The range, which opened in 1907, included a store house, a concrete target pit, twenty targets, and a keeper's house. Camp Williamson closed in 1936 and was sold in 1953.
 
Erected 2012 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
 
Location. 32° 17.205′ N, 90° 54.095′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on U.S. 61 south of Old Cain Ridge Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vicksburg MS 39180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tobias Gibson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mississippi (approx. 1.7 miles away); Vicksburg Siege (approx. 1.7 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
U.S. Battery Benton. (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gibraltar of the Confederacy (approx. 1.8 miles away); Iowa (approx. 2 miles away); C.S. Company G, (approx. 2 miles away); C.S. Company A, (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
 
Also see . . .  Vicksburg Post article on the marker dedication. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
The view east, towards the former rifle range direction. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. The view east, towards the former rifle range direction.
Looking south on U.S. Highway 61. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
3. Looking south on U.S. Highway 61.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103779

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024