Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Port Gibson

 
 
Port Gibson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Port Gibson Marker
Inscription.  Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's first library, chartered in 1818, and the second newspaper in Mississippi.
 
Erected 2004 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
 
Location. 31° 57.586′ N, 90° 58.941′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (U.S. 61) and Walnut Street on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Englesing Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Shreve House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Guthrie Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Gemiluth Chassed (within shouting distance of this marker); Brashear Academy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the history of Port Gibson. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
View from marker south on Church Street. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. View from marker south on Church Street.
Claiborne County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
3. Claiborne County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103803

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024