The Stewart House
Visions of Growth
The Stewart House built in the mid-1700's, was owned by at least six generations of the family. David Stewart, Sr., credited with founding Port Penn, planned for the town to become a shipping port that could compete with the firmly established ports of Philadelphia and Wilmington.
Stewart's vision was like many in the American Colonies at the time. He considered the land a vast resource available for economic exploitation, only requiring the efforts of entrepreneurs to realize its wealth. But changes in shipping and transportation prevented Port Penn's expansion, limited its economic future, and prevented Stewart from realizing his dream.
Flemish Bond: Strength and Beauty
The handsome brick pattern on the Stewart House is common on early 18th-century buildings. Flemish bond is achieved by overlapping bricks like a woven fabric. Although a labor-intensive design, it increased the strength of the structure. When building materials became stronger and more consistent by the 19th century, simpler and less expensive styles of brickwork became more common.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 31.002′ N, 75° 34.674′ W. Marker is in Port Penn, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Stewart Street just south of Market Street (Delaware Route 9), on the right when traveling south. The marker stands behind the Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Stewart St, Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wild-Cleaver House (a few steps from this marker); Port Penn Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Site of Margaret Darrach House (within shouting distance of this marker); McMullin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Harper Carey Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Cleaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Stewart-Cox House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Penn.
More about this marker. Top Photo and Caption View of the Stewart house from the south, circa 1920. You are currently viewing the house from the north.
Bottom Diagram and Caption David Stewart laid out the town of Port Penn to develop an important port. Many of the original lot divisions remain today.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,060 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2014, by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware.