Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
 

The Legislative Palace

Palacio Legislativo

— —Un Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato — —

 
 
The Legislative Palace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, April 2, 2017
1. The Legislative Palace Marker
Inscription.  
Durante la primera mitad del siglo XX, este palacio de cantera verde ricamente ornamentado fue la sede de los Poderes Ejecutivo, Legislativo y Judicial de Guanajuato. En 1903 se inauguró la obra por Don Porfirio Díaz, junto con otros edificios y monumentos de relevancia histórica para la ciudad hasta el día de hoy. Actualmente el recinto sólo aloja a los Diputados Locales, y su patio principal es escenario constante de exposiciones artísticas de renombrados autores.

Diseñado por el Arquitecto inglés Cecilio Luis Long, el edificio se levantó donde originalmente estuviera el Palacio Marquesal de San Clemente, mismo que fue construido en 1753 por D. Francisco Matías de Busto y Moya, primer Marqués de San Clemente. Esta edificación original fue demolida en 1897 cuando se inició la construcción del edificio que conocemos hasta hoy.

En la planta alta está la Sala de Sesiones del Congreso del Estado, donde los legisladores se reparten en turno a un corredor semi-oval que forman sus curules de fina ebanistería, cuya disposición dentro de este espacio los obliga a verse de frente. Al final de esta sala, se encuentra el Escudo
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
de Armas de Santa Fe de Guanajuato, sobre elegantes cortinajes de terciopelo rojo y desde lo alto de un verde dosel, preside el conjunto un Águila Mexicana en fina madera. Destaca también la colección de retratos de los Héroes de la Independencia, una de las más completas y bien realizadas que existe en todo el país.

English:
During the first half of the twentieth century, this building of richly ornamented green sandstone was home Guanajuato's Executive, Legislature and Judiciary. On the orders of President Porfirio Díaz, the building, along with a number of other important Guanajuato landmarks, was begun in 1903. Today it is home to the Chamber of State Deputies, while its main courtyard plays host to exhibitions by major artists.

Designed by the English architect Cecil Louis Long, the building was erected on the site of what was originally the Palace of the Marquis of San Clemente, built in 1753 by Francisco Matías de Busto y Moya, first marquis of San Clemente. This was demolished in 1897 to make way for the building we see today.

On the upper floor is the chamber of the State Congress, where the legislators' elegant wooden chairs are arrayed in a sweeping semi-oval formation, which means they have to face each other. At one end of the room stands the city crest of Santa Fe de Guanajuato against a background of elegant red velvet and
The Legislative Palace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, April 2, 2017
2. The Legislative Palace Marker
The reverse of this and the other markers in the series in Guanajuato shows a list of the 19 most important sites in the city and a map with the location of the markers and sites.
perched on a green canopy is a finely carved Mexican eagle. It is also notable for its collection of portraits of the heroes of the Mexican revolution – one of the most complete and artistically important in Mexico. (Marker Number 5 of 19.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
 
Location. 21° 1.031′ N, 101° 15.287′ W. Marker is in Guanajuato. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida Benito Juárez and Calle Positos, on the right when traveling west on Avenida Benito Juárez. The marker is just northwest of the Peace Plaza (Plaza de la Paz). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guanajuato 36000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Legislative Palace (a few steps from this marker); Von Humboldt in Guanajuato (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Count Rul (within shouting distance of this marker); People's Museum (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); House of Royal Assayer Sebastián Camacho (about 90 meters away); Agustín Lanuza (about 90 meters away); Plaza de la Paz (about 90 meters away); University of Guanajuato (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
 
The Legislative Palace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, April 2, 2017
3. The Legislative Palace Marker
The marker is just to the left of the corner of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103990

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024