Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery Marker
— Palmer's Division —
1st Ohio Light
Erected 1894 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-919.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
Location. 34° 55.443′ N, 85° 15.803′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Glenn-Kelly Road north of Dyer Road, on the right when traveling north. Park on Glenn-Kelly road at approximately N 34° 55.4549 W 85° 15.8638 near the head of the path. Follow the path to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery Marker (within shouting distance of this marker); Humphrey's Brigade (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 64th Ohio Infantry (about 500 feet away); To Capture of Nine Union Guns (about 500 feet away); S. Beatty's Brigade 74th Indiana Infantry (about 600 feet away); Battery C, 1st Ohio Light Artillery (about 600 feet away); Croxton's Brigade (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
Regarding Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery Marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service: This is a standard Ohio marker, built in 1894. It is a 1'6" x 1'6" x 3' high granite obelisk with a raised letter inscription. It marks unit's position 300 yards southeast of old blacksmith shop on September 19, 1863, at 5:00 p.m.
Also see . . .
1. Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. (Submitted on May 21, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on May 22, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.