Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Whitehead Infirmary was established at a time when childbirth was increasingly occurring outside of the home. By 1950 the majority of U.S. births took place in hospitals and Whitehead Infirmary was part of this shift in medical practice. In addition to obstetrics, Dr. Whitehead also performed general surgery and treated numerous victims of traumatic injuries. The infirmary closed in 1959, but Whitehead maintained a clinic here until his retirement in 1986.
Erected 2014 by Lynches Lake Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-41.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine
Location. 33° 52.26′ N, 79° 45.039′ W. Marker is in Lake City, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (South Carolina Route 341) and Rodgers Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 238 E Main Street, Lake City SC 29560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Street/Main Street (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake City (about 800 feet away); Lake City Produce Markets / Lake City Bean Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); H.H. Singletary Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Palmetto State Bank Robbery (approx. ¼ mile away); W.T. Askins House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lake City Tobacco Markets / Imperial Tobacco Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lake City Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 76 times this year. Last updated on June 6, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.