Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wolverine Boys' State / Wolverine Girls' State
Wolverine Boys' State: The American Legion
On November 28, 1937, the board of directors of The American Legion established Wolverine Boys' State. American Legion departments in other states, including Ohio and Indiana, had existing programs. The American Legion sought to teach citizenship and leadership to boys by training them in the fundamental principles of American government. Individual legion posts sponsored local boys who were "mentally alert, vigorous and enthusiastic and honest and thrifty " The first Boys' State was held at Michigan State College (present day Michigan State University) in East Lansing. Posts sent eight hundred boys at a cost of $12.50 each for the ten day event. In 1946, Boys' Nation was organized.
Wolverine Girls' State: American Legion Auxiliary
On 1941 the women of the American Legion Auxiliary established Wolverine Girls' State. The organization's original purpose was "to find and develop girls who show inherent tendencies toward leadership." The first Girls' State meeting was held in June 1941 at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The eight-day program included sessions
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S0618.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1941.
Location. 42° 44.095′ N, 84° 34.629′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of North Verlinden Ave. and Inverness Ave,, on the right when traveling north on North Verlinden Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 North Verlinden Ave, Lansing MI 48915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan B. Hungerford House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Optometric Association (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); State Highway Department / Horatio EarleMichigan Trial Lawyers Association (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Battery A 1st Michigan Light Artillery (approx. 1.1 miles away); State Bar of Michigan (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Additional keywords. American Legion
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 13, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.