Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware City School No. 118C

 
 
Delaware City School No. 118C Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), May 31, 2021
1. Delaware City School No. 118C Marker
Inscription.  In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who conducted a statewide effort to replace outdated and overcrowded facilities. On March 9, 1922 the State received the deed for a new building to replace a school located in the Polktown section of the community. the facility housed grades 1 through 8. Citizens expressed their gratitude to Mr. duPont for his "most generous and valuable gift." The school was closed in 1961. In 1962 the property was sold to the Delaware City Community Park District.
 
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-97.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducationParks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 9, 1922.
 
Location. 39° 34.338′ N, 75° 36.061′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from Madison Street, 0.3 miles south of 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collins-Blackburn Memorial Building (a few steps from this marker); "Old Fire Bell" (approx. ¼ mile away); Delaware City Fire Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Delaware City Public School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Equal Suffrage Study Club (approx. 0.6 miles away); Michelle N. Smith Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort DuPont (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
 
Delaware City School No. 118C image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Delaware City School No. 118C
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,877 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10445

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024