Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First African Baptist Church
Organized August 17, 1862
in the town of Mitchelville
with 120 members
Building was moved to present location
later and rebuilt in 1966
Rededicated October 30, 1988
Rev. C.W. Aiken, Pastor
Rev. J.N. Rivers, Assoc. Pastor
Dea. C.E. Simmons, Jr., Chm. Deacon BD
Dea. M.C. Campbell, Chm. Trustee BD
Sis. R.G. Simmons, Clerk
St. Matt. 16:18
AL 5988 AD 1988
C.E. Riley, M.W. Grand Master
Prince Hall Grand Lodge F & A Masons
Laid by Happy Lodge No. 125
Rededicated August 18, 2012 in honor
of 150th Church anniversary
Erected 2012 by The Congregation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 13.436′ N, 80° 42.396′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on City Beach Rd 0.3 miles south Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 70 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named First African Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Story of Fort Howell (approx. one mile away); The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird (approx. one mile away); General Howell / Captain Suter (approx. one mile away); Forts of the Civil War Era (approx. one mile away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.