Brooklyn in Kings County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
12-Pounder “Napoleons”, Model of 1857 (Reproductions)
The upper half of this image, published by Harper’s Weekly in 1879, represents the “Artillery School for Militiamen at Fort Hamilton”. On October 20, 1879, the Brooklyn Eagle reported on the activities of National Guard artillery units at Fort Hamilton, noting that artillery drill “will begin this afternoon, and will be repeated throughout the week… and
Erected by The Harbor Defense Museum, New York City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 40° 36.633′ N, 74° 1.913′ W. Marker is in Brooklyn, New York, in Kings County. Marker can be reached from Sterling Drive south of General Lee Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is on the grounds of the Fort Hamilton Army Base. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 Sheridan Loop, Brooklyn NY 11252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Robert E. Lee (a few steps from this marker); 12-Inch Naval Gun, Mark V, Model 8 (a few steps from this marker); M1857 12 Pounder Napoleon (within shouting distance of this marker); 13-inch Seacoast Mortar, Pattern 1861 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); On July 4, 1776 (about 400 feet away); Spanish 24-Pounder (about 500 feet away); Fort Hamilton (about 500 feet away); Fort Hamilton Officers’ Club (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklyn.
Also see . . .
1. Harbor Defense Museum. (Submitted on June 20, 2017.)
2. Canon obusier de 12. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on April 14, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.