Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First African Baptist Church
This church, organized in 1862, was first located in the town of Mitchelville, a freedman’s village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first pastor, was a former slave. The congregation numbered about 120 members when it was organized in August 1862.
Erected 2012 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 7-37.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 13.436′ N, 80° 42.401′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 70 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named First African Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Story of Fort Howell (approx. one mile away); The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird (approx. one mile away); General Howell / Captain Suter (approx. one mile away); Forts of the Civil War Era (approx. one mile away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.