Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paducah in Cottle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Gray and The Blue

 
 
The Gray and The Blue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
1. The Gray and The Blue Marker
Inscription.  Into the western part of Texas about 1885 came Civil War veterans of the Gray and the Blue, to tame the wilderness. They grazed cattle where drought parched the grass. Lived in dugouts. Found daily existence a siege that reminded them of war hardships. On occasional trips into town, verbally refought the war on the Courthouse Square, but lived peacefully together to build a great county.

In Cottle County, 85 per cent of the early pioneers had worn the Gray. One out of 3 had been in Texas units. Others, were from Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia. Of the great early brands, most were owned by Confederate veterans, but one in Cottle was run by a strong pro-Unionist.

8,722 Union veterans lived in Texas in 1890. One example in Cottle County at this time was Union veteran, William Frederick Liedtke (1836-1914), who had migrated to the U.S. from Prussia, in 1856. He served as a county official and then as state auditor of Nebraska before settling in Paducah. He was legal advisor, abstractor and Justice of the Peace here.

Gray or Blue in the 1860s, the 1890 uniform tended to be cowman's regalia on an American
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
looking to the future rather than at the past.
 
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5346.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 34° 0.84′ N, 100° 18.099′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Texas, in Cottle County. Marker is on North 9th Street north of Richards Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah TX 79248, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cottle County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gober-Barron-Williford House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emmett Martin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Garden of Memories Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Chalk (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
The Gray and The Blue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
2. The Gray and The Blue Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104851

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024