Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

W. P. A. Sanitation Project

 
 
W. P. A. Sanitation Project Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
1. W. P. A. Sanitation Project Marker
Inscription.  In 1937 the State of Texas and Hardeman County worked with President Franklin Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration in an attempt to provide much-needed employment to indigent citizens and replace unsanitary privies with improved facilities. The advantages of these structures included a decrease in such diseases as typhoid fever, hookworm and dysentery. The privies featured fly-tight construction and were carefully placed in areas where they could not pollute the water supply. One toilet was placed on this site behind the Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise store. When it was destroyed, another privy was moved from where it originally stood on the property of the Bellamy family. W. H. Bellamy and his family were Medicine Mound town founders.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11929.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Environment. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #32 Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
34° 11.235′ N, 99° 35.681′ W. Marker is near Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is on Highway 91 Spur east of Farm to Market Road 1167, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quanah TX 79252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Medicine Mound Community (here, next to this marker); Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store (here, next to this marker); Old Mounds Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 4˝ miles away); Chillicothe First Methodist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Pease River Battlefield (approx. 8.4 miles away); Site of the Town of Margaret (approx. 8˝ miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quanah.
 
Three markers at Medicine Mound, Texas image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
2. Three markers at Medicine Mound, Texas
Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store Marker, Medicine Mound Community Marker and W.P.A. Sanitation Project Marker.
Privy behind Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
3. Privy behind Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store
Bellamy family privy structure reported destroyed in Jun 2008. This is a reproduction.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104919

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2024