Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Barnett's Battery I, 2nd Illinois Light Artillery
— Granger's Reserve Corps —
2 Napoleons, 2 James Rifles, 2 Parrots
Colonel Daniel McCook's Brigade, Granger's Reserve Corps.
September 20th, 1863, 2 to 6 p.m.
Captain Charles M. Barnett, Commanding
The battery moved with its brigade about 1 p.m. under orders, from the vicinity of McAfee's Church, two and one-half miles northeast of this point to the battlefield, and while moving rapidly in column of march through the burning woods, was fired on by the enemy and compelled to move by the right flank into the open field in front, the enemy shelling vigorously. About 2 p.m. the fire of the burning leaves and grass was extinguished and the battery took position on the crest of the ridge in rear of this ground, supported by the brigade, and opened on the enemy, firing at intervals till 6 p.m. aiding General Turchin in his advance by shelling the enemy from his front, till he secured shelter and reformed behind McCook's Brigade. The battery closed the action by two successive six-gun discharges, and soon after dark retired under orders with its brigade to Rossville.
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-661.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
Location. 34° 56.816′ N, 85° 15.775′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Gross Crescent north of Clinic Drive, on the left when traveling north. This tablet is located between two cannon, that have been situated at the front entrance to the Cornerstone Medical Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Gross Crescent, Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCook's Brigade (here, next to this marker); Lafayette Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Dibrell's Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shaw's Tennessee Battery (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1st Regiment & 18th Battalion Tennessee Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tennessee C.S.A. Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Armstrong's Brigade. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. This tablet is located off the grounds of the NMP, and is situated within the city limits of Fort Oglethorpe, on the grounds of the Cornerstone Medical Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.