Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glenville in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of a Tavern

 
 
Site of a Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 11, 2006
1. Site of a Tavern Marker
Inscription.  
New York
Site Of A Tavern
Kept By Nicholas S. Van
Patten. First Glenville
Town Meeting Held Here
Jan. 2, 1821

 
Erected by New York.
 
Location. 42° 51.62′ N, 73° 58.879′ W. Marker is in Glenville, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is at the intersection of Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 147) and Ridge Road (County Route 49), on the right when traveling south on Sacandaga Road. Marker is between the Stewart's shop and the roadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 571 Sacnadaga Road, Schenectady NY 12302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beukendaal. 1748 (approx. half a mile away); The Beukendaal Battle (approx. half a mile away); Sacandaga Road (approx. half a mile away); Pre-Columbian Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Plotter Kill Aqueduct (approx. 1.9 miles away); Maalwyck (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Movable Dam at Lock 8
Site of a Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, March 19, 2017
2. Site of a Tavern Marker
(approx. 2.3 miles away); Alan Fairbanks (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenville.
 
Regarding Site of a Tavern. Nicholas S. Van Patten/Van Petten
There were two taverns on the Sacandaga Turnpike, each run by a Nicholas Van Patten; one was called "Upper Nicky's" and the other was called "Lower Nicky's". Lower Nicky's was owned and operated by Nicholas Simon Van Petten (Oct. 21, 1750 - July 8, 1829). Nicholas Philip Van Patten operated another tavern "Upper Nicky's" further north along the turnpike.

"The first Glenville Town Board meeting was held at the tavern of Nicholas S. Van Patten on the first Tuesday of January 1821. This inn, known as "Lower Nicky's" was located on the corner of Sacandaga and Ridge Roads. At this meeting town officers were chosen. The only other business conducted at the organizational meeting was the appointment of an overseer for each of the 30 highway districts into which the town was divided."
 
Also see . . .  Nicholas Simon Van Petten. (Submitted on July 3, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. Van Patten / Van Petten
 
Categories.
Site of a Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, March 19, 2017
3. Site of a Tavern Marker
Government & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 

More. Search the internet for Site of a Tavern.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement