Hunting Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hunting Island Light Station
This lighthouse, built of interlocking cast iron plates, was completed in 1875. The light station was originally located on the northern end of the island, but severe beach erosion forced its relocation to this site in 1889. The Hunting Island light continued to aid navigators until 1933 when a buoy took over its function.
In addition to the lighthouse, the light station included housing for the staff, supplies and equipment necessary to keep the light burning. Within this fence are the remaining original buildings and archaeological traces of the Hunting Island Light Station.
(text at left) Help us preserve the past
The Hunting Island Light Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an important part of our nation's past. Please help us preserve it for future generations. Treat the buildings with respect and
Erected by Hunting Island State Park.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 32° 22.5′ N, 80° 26.264′ W. Marker is in Hunting Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from N. Beach Drive. At Hunting Island State Park, Sea Island Parkway ( US21). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Helena Island SC 29920, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home at the Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Harvesting Drinking Water (within shouting distance of this marker); Island Delivery Service (within shouting distance of this marker); A Guiding Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuel for the Flame (within shouting distance of this marker); A Life-Saving Light Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapel of Ease (approx. 8.1 miles away); Penn School (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Regarding Hunting Island Light Station. National Register of Historic Places :
(Also known as Hunting Island Lighthouse )
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: US Coast Guard
♦ Architectural Style: No Style Listed
♦ Area of Significance: Engineering, Commerce
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1925-1949
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Transportation
♦ Historic Sub-function: Water-Related
♦ Current Function: Transportation
♦ Current Sub-function: Water-Related
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on July 4, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.