Martins Mill in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Levin Collins purchased this 320 acres in 1865. The following year his son-in-law, John Tidmore, died from lingering maladies incurred during the Civil War. John Tidmore's widow, Martha Elizabeth (daughter of Levin Collins) and her four children moved in with her parents and siblings, and in 1872 she bought the eastern half of her parents' land, including the cemetery. She died later that year, and was interred here with her family; the graveyard became known by the Tidmore family name. The three surviving Tidmore children and their spouses later lived on adjoining lands near the cemetery. George W. Tidmore and his children operated a cotton gin. Various Tidmore family members became well-known members of the community, and were buried here in turn. L.H. Hobbs and his descendants
The land on this site eventually was deeded as a cemetery. In 1933 a Hobbs descendant sold three more acres for one dollar to the Tidmore Cemetery Association. There are twelve veterans of the army of the Confederacy interred here, and many veterans of World War I and World War II. The cemetery continues to serve descendants of pioneer families and other community members.
(Incise on base)
William K. Tidmore, Researcher
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12269.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 32° 22.13′ N, 95° 46.153′ W. Marker is in Martins Mill, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2339, 0.3 miles west of Farm to Market Road 4306, on the right when traveling west. This marker is mounted on a post standing just within the cemetery fence. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens TX 75752, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adren Anglin (approx. 5.3 miles away); Asbury CemeteryBen Wheeler Community (approx. 6˝ miles away); Cane Syrup Production in Van Zandt County (approx. 6˝ miles away); Alamo Institute (approx. 6.6 miles away); Morgan G. Sanders (approx. 6.6 miles away); Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin (approx. 9˝ miles away); Site of Old Normandy (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.