Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Magruder

 
 
Fort Magruder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
1. Fort Magruder Marker
Inscription.  
This large redoubt was the center of a defensive line crossing the Peninsula. These earthworks, constructed by the command of General John B. Magruder, were a part of the system of fortifications designed to protect Richmond.

Here on May 5, 1862. The Battle of Williamsburg delayed the advance of the Federal Army and made possible the continued defense of Richmond.

This site preserved by
The United Daughters of the Confederacy

This marker erected by
the citizens of Williamsburg on the
occasion of the one-hundredth anniversary
of
The Battle of Williamsburg
May 5, 1962

 
Erected 1962 by Citizens of Williamsburg.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1850.
 
Location. 37° 15.838′ N, 76° 39.978′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on Penniman Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Marker on Penniman Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
2. Marker on Penniman Road
This site was the center of the Williamsburg Line of Defense across the Peninsula in 1862.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Magruder (a few steps from this marker); Vineyard Tract (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Magruder’s Defenses (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Williamsburg (approx. half a mile away); Quarterpath Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Peninsula Campaign (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); History of Fort Magruder (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Williamsburg, Fort Magruder, Civil War Virginia, May 5, 1862. American Civil War website. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

2. Battle of Williamsburg, 5 May 1862. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
3. The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
 
Fort Magruder Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
3. Fort Magruder Markers
Fort Magruder was part of the Third Defensive Line constructed by Gen. John B. Magruder to protect Richmond.
Fort Magruder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, June 24, 2010
4. Fort Magruder Marker
UDC Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
5. UDC Site Marker
This land was donated to the Williamsburg Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy by the Benel Corporation, Ben G. Levinson, President.
Fort Magruder Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, June 24, 2010
6. Fort Magruder Fortifications
Fort Magruder Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
7. Fort Magruder Fortifications
These earthworks, found in the woods to the left of the marker, were attacked by the troops of Union Gen. Joseph Hooker during the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1962.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,759 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   4. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   5. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   6. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   7. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10572

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021