Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Grand Gulf

Grand Gulf Historic Tour

 
 
Town of Grand Gulf Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
1. Town of Grand Gulf Marker
Inscription.  The town of Grand Gulf began in the 18th century as a small British settlement. By 1828 it had grown to a village of three stores, one tavern, and several houses. There was a stage line to Port Gibson and steamboats stopped at its wharves. Incorporated in 1833, Grand Gulf received its name from a large whirlpool formed as the Mississippi River struck a great rock formation. By the late 1830's Grand Gulf had become an important port and trading center with seventy-six city blocks and about 1000 people. Grand Gulf's decline began in 1843 with a yellow fever epidemic. In 1853 a tornado devastated a large portion of the town. Yellow fever and cholera epidemics resulted in further population losses. To make matters worse, the Mississippi River changed its course and began eating into the land on which the town was built. Between 1855 and 1860 fifty-five city blocks were destroyed by the river. By 1860 only one hundred fifty-eight lived there. During the Civil War, Federal troops and gunboats destroyed the remainder of the town. The town was never rebuilt after the war and today even the river has deserted what was once a bustling river port. All
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
that remains are a few antebellum buildings scattered along what was once the outskirts of the town.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 32° 1.972′ N, 91° 3.242′ W. Marker is near Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Grand Gulf Road, 1.1 miles north of Frazier Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Gulf (here, next to this marker); On to Vicksburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Rifle Pits (about 600 feet away); Fort Wade (about 600 feet away); Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine (about 600 feet away); Victories and Defeats - The Cost of War (about 700 feet away); First Grand Gulf Naval Battle (about 700 feet away); Supporting Battery (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
 
Also see . . .  MISSISSIPPI LEGENDS Grand Gulf - A Bustling Port Along the River. (Submitted on July 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
Town of Grand Gulf Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
2. Town of Grand Gulf Marker
Town of Grand Gulf Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
3. Town of Grand Gulf Marker
Grand Gulf Tour image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
4. Grand Gulf Tour
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=105720

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024