Washington in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Jefferson Military College
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory.
Erected 1957 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 34.791′ N, 91° 18.036′ W. Marker is in Washington, Mississippi, in Adams County. It is on Jefferson College Street north of U.S. 61, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington MS 39190, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southwest Mississippi and in Natchez Trace Corridor. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and in the Great River Road Region. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Viceroyalty of New France, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Andrew Jackson at Washington (a few steps from this marker); Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John W. Monette (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince Ibrahima (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The President's House (about 300 feet away); Site of Assembly Hall (about 800 feet away); Washington Campground (about 800 feet away); Clear Creek Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.

Photographed by Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
4. Jefferson Military College - East Wing (1819)
The oldest building on the Jefferson College campus, the East Wing was a multi-purpose facility containing classrooms, offices, and living quarters for both students and faculty. Following a fire in 1841, the East Wing's wood shingle roof was replaced with slate.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 778 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 19, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.



