Iron Mountain in Dickinson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dickinson County / Dickinson County Courthouse and Jail
In 1873, John Lane Buell exposed one of the richest deposits of iron ore in the world. His discovery, known as the Menominee Iron Range, led to the development of the area and the subsequent creation of Dickinson County in 1891. The last of Michigan’s eighty-three counties to be organized, it was named for Donald M. Dickinson, a prominent Detroit attorney and the postmaster general in the first administration of President Grover Cleveland (1885-1889). Three of Michigan’s largest iron mines were located in Iron Mountain, which had an abundant supply of water power and was served by two major railroads. Iron Mountain became a center of commerce and distribution for the range and was the natural location for the county seat once the county organized.
Dickinson County Courthouse and Jail
This Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse, erected in 1896-97, is constructed of rock-faced brick, trimmed with Portage Entry sandstone. James E. Clancy, a locally recognized architect who specialized in planning public buildings on the Menominee Iron Range, designed the courthouse. County offices opened here
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Department of State. (Marker Number L0563.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #22 and #24 Grover Cleveland series list.
Location. 45° 48.984′ N, 88° 3.885′ W. Marker is in Iron Mountain, Michigan, in Dickinson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Stephenson Avenue (U.S. 2) and East C Street, on the right when traveling north on South Stephenson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 S Stephenson Ave, Iron Mountain MI 49801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert C. Hoyle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Italians in Dickinson County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cornish Pump James and Ida Goulette (approx. 0.6 miles away); Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes / Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Ardis Furnace (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Additional keywords. County Courthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.