Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Townsend in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Union Methodist Church

 
 
Old Union Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Old Union Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  A log church was built here in 1789 on land donated by Joseph Dickinson. The church was named "Dickinson's Chapel" in his honor. Francis Asbury and many other pioneers of American Methodism conducted services here. Levi Scott, a native of this area and member of the church, became the first Delawarean to serve as a Methodist bishop. He is interred in the adjoining cemetery. The present church was constructed in 1847. Then known as Union Methodist Episcopal Church, it continued to serve the families of Appoquinimink Hundred until the early 1900s, when regular services sere discontinued. The Old Union Church Society was organized in 1939 to preserve the church and grounds. In 1973, Union Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-117.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1789.
 
Location.
Old Union Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Old Union Methodist Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 23.276′ N, 75° 39.769′ W. Marker is in Townsend, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Union Church Road, 0.1 miles east of US 13, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend DE 19734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Blackbird School (District No. 69) (approx. 1.3 miles away); Townsend (approx. 1.6 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Townsend World War II Honor Roll (approx. 1.7 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Duncan Beard (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Townsend.
 
Stone over Door image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
3. Stone over Door
Union M. E. Church A. D. 1847
Old Union Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
4. Old Union Methodist Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,139 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10608

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022