Eagle River in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lake Shore Drive Bridge / Eagle River
Eagle River. In 1843 the Lake Superior Copper Company purchased several land leases for mining. Two years later the Cliff Mine, alleged to be “the first great copper mine in the Western Hemisphere,” was opened by the Pittsburgh & Boston Company. The mines attracted large numbers of Germans, Cornishmen and Irishmen and gave rise to other industries. On August 29, 1846,
Erected 1991. (Marker Number S0613.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Natural Features. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 47° 24.759′ N, 88° 17.798′ W. Marker is in Eagle River, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 26 and 4th Street on State Highway 26. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Harbor House (approx. 7 miles away); Eagle Harbor (approx. 7.1 miles away); Calumet Theater (approx. 13.6 miles away); The Italian Hall / Italian Hall Tragedy (approx. St. Paul the Apostle Church (approx. 13.7 miles away); Clearing the Way (approx. 13.8 miles away); Float Copper (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Eagle River. (Submitted on May 4, 2007.)
1. Lake Shore Drive Bridge/Eagle River
The marker indicates that this bridge, the "Lake Shore Drive Bridge", built 1915, was constructed simultaneously with the 'other' old bridge in Eagle River, what is known as the "Main Street Bridge" and which has been closed since circa 1999.
My impression is that it is unlikely that these two bridges were, in fact, built "simultaneously".
There is a picture [Image MS042--26-999-B-5B] in the Reeder Collection of the MTU Copper Country Archives which clearly shows the "Main Street" bridge constructed and open for traffic on August 08, 1909. 1909 seems, also, to be the date of construction of this "other" bridge according to an analysis and records compiled Spring, 2002, by MTU Professor Bogue Sandberg's Civil Engineering Senior Design Group studying possible preservation of the "Main Street" bridge.
Wausau, Wisconsin & Copper Harbor, Michigan
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 3,083 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on July 27, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on May 4, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 2. submitted on August 17, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 24, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.