Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mason's farm was modestly successful. He cultivated orchards, raised corn, wheat and livestock.
The house was a hub of Leesburg social activity and welcomed many distinguished guests. On August 9, 1825, President John Quincy Adams, former President James Monroe and the Marquis de Lafayette came to Temple Hall for the baptism of Mason's two youngest daughters.
In 1857, Mason retired to Washington, D.C., and sold his farm to Henry A. Ball. With the outbreak of the Civil War, the Ball family found themselves living on the front line between two hostile nations. Two of Henry Ball's sons left the farm to join the Confederate
Confederate Colonel John S. Mosby visited Temple Hall on July 5, 1864, and dined with the Ball family. While at the house, Mosby received information that led to the raid on Mount Zion Church.
Temple Hall remained in the Ball family until 1878 when it was sold at auction. In 1940, after a succession of owners, the property was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. James H. Symington. The Symingtons set about restoring the house and making improvements to the farm.
In 1985, Temple Hall Farm was acquired by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority in order to preserve the land and give future generations the opportunity to appreciate the experience of an American working farm.
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe, the Former U.S. Presidents: #06 John Quincy Adams, and the NOVA Parks 🏞️ series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park (here, next to this marker); Temple Hall Farm Regional Park's Role in Preserving (here, next to this marker); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); White’s Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); The Confederate Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away in Maryland); a different marker also named White’s Ferry (approx. 1.8 miles away in Maryland); Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (approx. 1.8 miles away in Maryland). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker are portraits of William Temple Thomson Mason and Ann Eliza Carroll Mason.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,799 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on August 1, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7, 8. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.