Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Altona in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McGregor Powerhouse

 
 
McGregor Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ellen Adams, July 30, 2017
1. McGregor Powerhouse Marker
Inscription.  McGregor Powerhouse and LaSalle Dam est. 1923 by William H. Miner
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
 
Location. 44° 52.83′ N, 73° 39.344′ W. Marker is in Altona, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on Devils Den Road, one mile south of Miner Farm Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is at the entrance to Feinburg Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altona NY 12910, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robinson's Tavern (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ober's Corners (approx. 5.3 miles away); Original Hamlet of Sciota (approx. 5.8 miles away); First Town Meeting (approx. 6.6 miles away); R.R. Station (approx. 8˝ miles away); Ellenburg (approx. 8.9 miles away); Heart's Delight (approx. 9 miles away); First State Hospital for Criminally Insane (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Regarding McGregor Powerhouse. Construction began on the McGregor Dam in 1922 at the site on the Great Chazy River then known as McGregor
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Pond, about 15 miles downstream from Chazy Lake. William H. Miner's workmen constructed a 1500-foot concrete dam and installed a 5000-foot, 72-inch penstock. The McGregor Powerhouse, located downstream from the dam and built in California Mission style, housed turbines and generators, as well as three apartments for employees and their families. Shortly after the McGregor project was completed in 1923, work began on the LaSell Dam, 1200 feet downstream from the powerhouse. This smaller dam was built on the site of an old sawmill owned by N.H. LaSell. A 16-mile transmission line connected the McGregor and LaSell plants to the Altona Powerhouse at Flat Rock and then to Heart's Delight Farm.
 
View from McGregor Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ellen Adams, July 30, 2017
2. View from McGregor Powerhouse
The concrete saddles formerly held the penstock.
McGregor Powerhouse and LaSell Dam image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, ca. 1923
3. McGregor Powerhouse and LaSell Dam
Photo from the collection of the Alice T. Miner Museum, Chazy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 269 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York.   3. submitted on August 4, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106442

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024