Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
This is how Thomas Jefferson described the view from here during a visit to Harpers Ferry in 1783. Around 1860, the U.S. armory superintendent ordered red sandstone supports placed under "Jefferson Rock" because it was "endangering the lives and properties of the villagers below."
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1783.
Location. 39° 19.346′ N, 77° 44.097′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Jefferson Rock (here, next to this marker); Shenandoah Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathan Cook Brackett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Soldier (about 400 feet away); Island Access (about 400 feet away); Jonathan Child House (about 400 feet away); Harper Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Island Mills (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. On the left is a portrait of Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826. Below the portrait is a 1810 drawing of Jefferson Rock, by Benjamin Latrobe, designer of the U.S. Capitol building.
Also see . . . Thomas Jefferson at Harpers Ferry. National Park Service page, with more from Jefferson's description. (Submitted on August 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. John Quincy Adams' Retort
In 1834 former President John Quincy Adams visited the Armory at Harpers Ferry and in particular observed the scene described by Jefferson. From the Diaries of John Quincy Adams, May 24, 1834-
"Here we saw the junction of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, described somewhat enthusiastically by Mr. Jefferson. I went to the hanging rock that bears his name, and observed the double range of precipitous rocky hills
— Submitted August 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,854 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 20, 2014. 5. submitted on August 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.