Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument

Right Wing Army of Tennessee

 
 
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
1. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
Inscription.  
Headquarters
Right Wing Army of Tennessee.
Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk.
September 20th, 1863.


 
Erected 1895 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number Mt-481.)
 
Topics. This historical marker and monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
 
Location. 34° 55.94′ N, 85° 14.962′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Alexander Bridge Road and Battleline Road, on the left when traveling south. This shell monument is located along a network of park trails, that has a trailhead leading into the woods, just east of the street intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk's Corps (a few steps from this marker); Right Wing - Army of Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); Croxton's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Hill's Corps (about 500
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
feet away, measured in a direct line); Hill's Headquarters Shell Monument (about 600 feet away); Douglas' Texas Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Douglas' Texas Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Calvert's Arkansas Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this monument. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the shell monument is, “6'2" square at base and 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a painted metal plaque identifying the headquarters site.”

The National Park Service goes on to state that, "shell pyramid monument has a square base consisting 7 cannonballs wide and 7 cannonballs deep. It is 7 layers high."

This shell monument is located in the woods, along the main park trail, that is a significant walk from the street intersection. According to the National Park Service, it is located, "in the woods along the horse trail east of Tour Stop #2."

The
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
2. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
National Park Service also identifies E. E. Betts as being the engineer who was the designer of this monument.

In locating this shell monument I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this shell monument and the shell monument's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).”
 
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
3. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
View of shell monument looking east along park walking trail. Note the backside of the two nearby Confederate tablets.
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
4. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
View of the shell monument looking east along the park walking trail, which eventually ends at Jays Mill Road.
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
5. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
View of the shell monument looking north, in the direction of the blue tablet for Croxton's Brigade.
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 12, 2017
6. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument Marker
View of shell monument looking west along park walking trail. Note the two nearby Confederate tablets.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 8, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106719

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024