Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, McGillivray joined the North West Company in 1784, became a partner in 1790 and its principal director in 1804. Fort Kaministiquia, the Company's wilderness headquarters, was renamed Fort William in his honour in 1807. He was largely responsible for the Nor'Westers' bitter opposition to Lord Selkirk's Red River Colony, but later supported negotiations which led to the union of the Hudson's Bay and North West Companies in 1821. He served as lieutenant-colonel of the Corps of Canadian Voyageurs during the War of 1812 and as a member of the Legislative Council of Lower Canada 1814-25.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1764.
Location. 48° 22.935′ N, 89° 14.743′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Donald Street East and May Street SouthTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5K4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Kaministiquia 1717 (here, next to this marker); The Western Route of the C.P.R. (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Capture of Fort William (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fort William (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); a different marker also named Fort William (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 4.6 kilometers away); Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Canadian Car & Foundry (approx. 4.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - William McGillivray. (Submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 223 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.