East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan State University
At this location, near the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (1873), the Botanical Laboratory stood from 1879 until it burned on March 20, 1890. Watson and Arnold of Lansing designed this Gothic-inspired, wooden structure as the first botanical laboratory on campus. It also housed Professor Beal's botanical museum.
When the Botanical Laboratory burned, Professor Beal wanted the new botany building to be located in the center of campus, which would have been just west of Linton Hall. According to Professor Madison Kuhn, author of Michigan State's centennial history, President Oscar Clute (1889-1893) changed the delivery of the bricks for the second botany building to preserve the "sacred" space—an oak opening—where Michigan State University began.
For the second botany building, located on what is today West Circle Drive, there was an impressive cornerstone dedication on June 22, 1892. The cornerstone inscription, "Botany A.D. 1892," is still prominent. The current building name is Old Botany.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed Architecture • Education • Science & Medicine. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 1890.
Location. 42° 43.902′ N, 84° 29.088′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive 0.1 miles east of Kalamazoo Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University, on eastbound West Circle Drive east of the IM Sports-Circle building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 West Circle Drive, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walter Adams Field (about 400 feet away); Sleepy Hollow (about 400 feet away); Alice B. Cowles House (about 600 feet away); Michigan State University (about 700 feet away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (about 700 feet away); The Spartan (about 800 feet away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.