Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Post Cemetery is the final resting place for Fort Mackinac soldiers, their families and local officials. Although the origin of the cemetery is lost in history, local lore from the nineteenth century suggests that both American and British War of 1812 soldiers are buried here. Many early burials were marked with simple wooden crosses that have long since decayed and disappeared. As a result, many of the burials are unknown.
Among the known burials is German-born, Civil War veteran Ignatius Goldhofer who came to Fort Mackinac in 1869 with a variety of ailments and old wounds. When he died three years later his wife and four children buried him in the Post Cemetery.
Civilian interments include Edward Biddle who served the community as sheriff, village president and surveyor in the mid nineteenth century. In the 1880’s, Lieutenant Calvin Cowles and his wife Mary buried their infant children Josiah and Isabel next to each other in the shaded northeast corner of the cemetery.
Made possible by a gift from Mackinac Associates
Erected by Mackinac Associates
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the National Cemeteries series list.
Location. 45° 51.509′ N, 84° 37.259′ W. Marker is on Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker is on Garrison Road, on the left when traveling north. The marker is located in front of the entrance to the Post Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home Of The Ancestors (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Skull Cave (about 700 feet away); Fort Holmes (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Holmes (approx. ¼ mile away); Sugar Loaf (approx. ¼ mile away); Scout Barracks / Parade Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greany Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery.
Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery is located approximately a half mile north of Fort Mackinac, near Skull Cave, a burial site for American Indians. The earliest interments in the post cemetery likely date to the mid-1820's. The military occupation of Fort Mackinac throughout (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery.
The cemetery was closed to burials soon after the US Army abandoned Fort Mackinac in 1895. Protestant and Catholic burials were originally at cemeteries in town. When those cemeteries were closed in the mid 1800s, many of their their interments were relocated to the adjacent St. Anne's Cemetery and Mackinac Island Cemetery. To be buried on Mackinac Island today, you must have been born there, been a resident or owned a business on Mackinac Island for more than 15 years to qualify. (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on May 26, 2023, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A clear, close-up photo of the updated marker. • Can you help?