Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Black High School in Frederick County

1921

 
 
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
1. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
Inscription.  
Founded by
Mr. John W. Burner
Supervisor of All Black Schools
in Frederick County

Principal
Mr. Maurice Reid

Sponsor
Frederick Chapter NAACP

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
 
Location. 39° 24.718′ N, 77° 24.907′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. It is in Downtown. Marker is on West All Saints Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 West All Saints Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 173 West All Saints Street (a few steps from this marker); Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mullinix Park (about 400 feet away); Water Level of the 1976 Flood (about 400 feet away); Braddock, Washington, and Franklin (about 600 feet away); Mary Quantrill's Stand (about 700 feet away); Saints Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 700 feet away); Library Campaign Song (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
 
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
2. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
3. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
First Black High School in Frederick image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
4. First Black High School in Frederick
The first black high school was built at 170 West Frederick Street. It later moved to 250 Madison Street which eventually became South Frederick Elementary School (now Lincoln Elementary School).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107198

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024