Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ponta in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ponta

 
 
Ponta Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
1. Ponta Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  In 1901, a new townsite was laid out on the Texas & New Orleans Railroad. Promoted by brothers Lee D. and William T. Guinn, it was named Hubb for county surveyor Hubbard S. Guinn. It was renamed Ponta (an adaptation of the Latin Ponte, which means bridge) when the post office was established in 1903. Ponta was a shipping center for such local products as lumber, cotton, tomatoes and peaches. In time, the town boasted such businesses as general stores, restaurants, banks, blacksmiths, cotton gins and sawmills, as well as a hotel, a Masonic lodge, churches and schools. Large scale greenhouse cultivation began in the area in the 1950s. The railroad ceased operation after World War II and the post office closed in 1972. Ponta Plant Nurseries remain a major factor in the Cherokee County economy.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11810.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
Ponta Marker and abandoned building image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
2. Ponta Marker and abandoned building
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 31° 53.913′ N, 95° 4.505′ W. Marker is in Ponta, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 4401 and State Highway 204, on the right when traveling west on County Road 4401. Marker stands in front of an apparently abandoned building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville TX 75766, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McDonald Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Mountain Home (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rusk (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bachelor Girl's Library Club (approx. 8.3 miles away); Rusk Footbridge (approx. 8.3 miles away); The James I. Perkins Family Home (approx. 8.3 miles away); Site of the Union Hotel/Bracken House/Acme Hotel (approx. 8.4 miles away); Cherokee County (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107325

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2021