Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Father Miguel O'Reilly House

First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1690-1763

 
 
Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
1. Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker
Inscription.  A tabby interior wall provides evidence that a portion of this building remains from the First Spanish Period before coquina stone construction took its place. Tabby was a form of construction that produced a cement slurry with an aggregate of oyster shells whereas coquina stone was quarried and cut to size. Both of these types are represented as the building was enlarged and altered historically. Graciously left by Father O'Reilly to the Catholic Church for continued religious purposes, the building is now restored to an 1840s appearance interpreting the life and significance of the Sisters of St. Joseph whose mission was to educate the community's African American children.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era.
 
Location. 29° 53.425′ N, 81° 18.675′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on Aviles Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Aviles St, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. Cofradia Archaeological Site (a few steps from this marker); Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Solana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Signal From Shore (within shouting distance of this marker); Ximenez-Fatio House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of St. Joseph - Florida Motherhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, March 23, 2019
2. Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker
Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
3. Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker
An additional Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
4. An additional Father Miguel O'Reilly House Marker
The Father Miguel O’Reilly House Museum
Existing Tabby & Coquina Walls c. 1691
Lorenzo Jose De Leon Residence 1725
Father Miguel O’Reilly Parish Home 1784-1812
First Convent – Sisters of St. Joseph 1866
St. Joseph Academy 1876-1920

Operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of St. Augustine, Fl.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 25, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida.   2. submitted on March 23, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107452

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024