Plymouth in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Massachusetts Society of the Sons of the American Revolution came to Plymouth on October 12, 1920 to dedicate this replica of the old Powder House. The original structure had been erected in Plymouth in 1779 and removed about 1880.
The Society contributed the money to build the red brick reproduction for Plymouth’s 300th Anniversary in 1921. The building is dedicated to the descendants of the pilgrims by birth of the spirit who aided in the establishment of America’s independence. The present brick building, like the original, stands in the old cemetery, originally called Fort Hill, where the Pilgrims built their first fort.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings.
Location. 41° 57.344′ N, 70° 40.023′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker can be reached from School Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in the Burial Hill cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Powder House (a few steps from this marker); Mr. Thomas Clarke (within shouting distance of this marker); James Warren (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major William Bradford (about 300 feet away); Robert Cushman (about 400 feet away); First Fort (about 400 feet away); Tercentenary Cannons (about 400 feet away); Elder William Brewster (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.