This turn of the century doctor's office, built by Dr. Ertemon Lafleur, was originally located one mile west of the junction of Louisiana highways 103 and 104 in the community of Prairie Ronde. The office is a reminder of how medical practice has changed in rural Louisiana.
In this quaint little building, Dr. Ertemon Lafleur did a little of everything from delivering babies to performing surgeries and pulling teeth. He also mixed and dispensed medicine. Money was scarce back then and often timed payment for services was received in the form of goods like chicken. eggs, pork, beef, grain and labor.
In those early years, doctors still made house calls. so Dr. Ertemon traveled to see patients by way of horse and buggy. As time moved forward and roads improved, the doctor was able to buy a car, which he ordered by mail from Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Dr. Ertemon practiced medicine up until the time of his death in 1946.
When he died, his son, Nathan Curtis, took over the practice. Dr. N.C. Lafleur practiced medicine in the building until 1985. He died a year later.
The building was donated to Le Vieux Village by the family of the late
Erected by City of Opelousas, Louisiana.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 31.902′ N, 92° 4.447′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) near South Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rosa B. Scott (Anderson) (here, next to this marker); J.S. Clark High School (a few steps from this marker); Venus House (a few steps from this marker); Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (a few steps from this marker); 19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 (within shouting distance of this marker); Le Vieux Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Opelousas Firsts and Famous/ Hall of Fame (within shouting distance of this marker); La Chapelle House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2017.