Shepherdstown in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church was first established in 1745, and its congregation worshiped in three buildings built on the site one block north on Church Street. In 1854, under the leadership of the Rev. Charles W. Andrews, DD, who served as rector for 33 years, the trustees purchased two lots for the construction of the present building, and construction began in 1855. The Rt. Rev. William H. Meade, Bishop of Virginia, visited Shepherdstown that year, bringing with him a brick from the first Episcopal Church in Jamestown, Virginia. The brick is visible from the Church Street side at the top of the tower. Upon completion the church was consecrated on April 5, 1859, by The Rt. Rev. John Johns.
During the War Between the States, Shepherdstown was in the path of both armies and changed hands several times. Services were held each Sunday despite the fact that one week the congregation might be populated with Union soldiers and the next by Confederates. The church was fortunate to escape damage during the war. Following the Battle of Antietam, most Shepherdstown buildings were used as hospitals for the wounded. Trinity, however, as the
Following the War, since the church did not provide space for Sabbath School, the Chapel was built as a space for this function. It was consecrated on Christmas Day 1870.
Throughout the history of Shepherdstown, Trinity Church has been a vital and important part of the community. May she long stand as witness to the presence of Christ.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 5, 1859.
Location. 39° 25.887′ N, 77° 48.47′ W. Marker is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of West German Street and South Church Street, on the right when traveling east on West German Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 West German Street, Shepherdstown WV 25443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reformed Church Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Magdalene Slagle Bedinger (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Lemen (about 400 feet away); Old English / Episcopal Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Capt. William Morgan (about 500 feet away); Capt. James Kerney (about 500 feet away); Robert Tabb (about 500 feet away); Elizabeth Elliott Tabb (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shepherdstown.
Also see . . . Trinity Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 31, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 31, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on October 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.