Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Eastside Cemetery

 
 
Eastside Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
1. Eastside Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Eastside Cemetery was established on this site in 1889 in response to citizens’ requests for a central location for the burial of the dead. Early cemeteries, known is burying grounds, dotted fields of early Bulloch County family farms. Majestic magnolias, cedars, and crepe myrtles were planted to mark those sacred sites. With the dramatic growth of the City of Statesboro in the 1880’s citizens sought to establish a city Cemetery.

Although the city had two prominent cemeteries, the John Wise burying grounds on South Main St. and the Nevils burying grounds on North Main St., a group of citizens met on May 17, 1889, “to take steps in locating a place for the burial of the dead.” They selected this site which today is the city owned Eastside Cemetery with an entrance on Northside Drive, East.

The first citizen of Statesboro to be buried in the new cemetery was Mr. Willie Heddlestone who was born on April 17, 1856, and died on March 8, 1890. Other early burials included a number of bodies moved from the Wise and Nevil burying grounds. On July 25, 1956, the City of Statesboro assumed responsibility for the beautification
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the Eastside Cemetery.
 
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 32° 27.017′ N, 81° 46.367′ W. Marker is in Statesboro, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on Unnamed Cemetery Road, 0 miles north of Northside Drive East (U.S. 80), on the right when traveling east. The marker is just inside the cemetery entrance drive, which leads east from the intersection of Northside Drive (US Highway 80) and Turner Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Charles “Willie” Heddleston (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Statesboro Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Statesboro, Georgia (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donehoo-Brannen-NeSmith Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fabulous Fifty of 1906 / The Delegates (approx. half a mile away); Willie McTell Trail (approx. half a mile away); Mathews Building (approx. half a mile away); “Flame of Freedom” (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
 
Eastside Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
2. Eastside Cemetery Marker
Eastside Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
3. Eastside Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107776

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024