Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
(Rear) This memorial marks the site of a celebration on October 16, 1932, by representatives of the leading religious faiths in America, commemorative of the religious character of George Washington, whose boyhood home was Fredericksburg; and of the separation of church and state, as the Virginia “Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom” was outlined by a committee consisting of Thomas Jefferson, George Mason, Edmund Pendleton, George Wythe and Thomas Ludwell Lee which met in this city on January 13, 1777.
Erected 1932 by (VA) State Commission
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Civil Rights • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
Location. 38° 18.359′ N, 77° 28.106′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Pitt Street, in the median on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Washington Burial Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mary Washington Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. George Eskridge Memorial Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Meditation Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredericksburg Granite (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Recreation Park (about 700 feet away); Hugh Mercer (about 700 feet away); The Canal Ditch: Battlefield Obstacle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Historic Kenmore (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about Originally located at the corner of George and Barton street, this monument was relocated here in 1977.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. 4, 5. submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.