Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chatham in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chatham

 
 
Chatham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Susan Allen, February 15, 2017
1. Chatham Marker
Inscription.  Settled by John and Daniel Day. Named for the Earl of Chatham William Pitt. Washington often visited troops here.
 
Erected by The State Department of Conservation and Development.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 44.776′ N, 74° 23.693′ W. Marker is in Chatham, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Street near Boundary Road, Madison, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chatham Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tuttle Oak II (approx. one mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Chatham Township (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Chatham Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Jersey Journal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Day's Bridge Summit (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1.2 miles away); Chatham Colony Association (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
 
Regarding Chatham. The bridge crossing the Passaic River was originally the central part of what we know as Chatham. John and Daniel Day moved to the area from Long Island in approximately 1730. They settled close to a bridge that crossed the Passaic River and it became known as "John Day's Bridge".

In 1773, the village was named in honor of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham due to his strong support of the American patriots. In Anglo-Saxon "chete" means cottage and "ham" means village, thus the name Chatham, a village of cottages.

George Washington made frequent visits to Chatham. From the high vantage spot, it enabled him to view the landscape that housed the British troops.

In 1798, Chatham Township encompassed Madison, Florham Park, Summit, Borough of Chatham and present Chatham Township. In 1857, the Borough of Chatham was formed.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 51 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 4, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107929

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024