Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mill Creek in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

"Callaway Place" - 1814.

 
 
"Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 30, 2008
1. "Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker
Inscription.  Jesse Callaway, soldier of 1812, son of Joseph Callaway, soldier of '76, lived in this house from 1852 to 1867. The house, built with bricks made on the place, remained in the family until after 1900. It is said to have been built about 1814. Callaway, born in Wilkes County in 1796, was a Sergeant in Capt. Jones' Co., Col. Booth’s Regiment, Ga. Militia, 1814-15. He was married 4 times and had 18 children, most of them having living descendants in Ga. Deeding this house to his son John in 1867 he moved to another house on his land 2 miles north, where he died in 1875 and is buried in a family cemetery.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-29C.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 34° 44.938′ N, 85° 6.194′ W. Marker is near Mill Creek
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Lafayette Road (Georgia Route 201) and Gordon Springs Road, on the right when traveling south on Lafayette Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalton GA 30719, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Twentieth Corps in Dogwood Valley (here, next to this marker); Geary's Division to Dug Gap (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dr. Anderson’s House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Battle of Dug Gap (approx. 3.6 miles away); Babb's Settlement (approx. 3.6 miles away); Nickajack Gap (approx. 4.7 miles away); Chestnut Flat (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Dug Gap (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mill Creek.
 
"Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon Fletcher, February 21, 2012
2. "Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker
"Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon Fletcher, February 21, 2012
3. "Callaway Place" - 1814. Marker
Wideview other direction
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,738 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10795

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024