Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Reliance in Polk County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Halfway House

 
 
The Halfway House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, May 29, 2010
1. The Halfway House Marker
Inscription.  From the construction of the "Copper Road" from Ducktown to Cleveland in 1853 until the coming of a railroad to Ducktown, this was the midpoint of the two-day wagon haul. Wagoners camped near the inn at the mouth of Greasy Creek. Four-mule teams were usual, but teams of six or eight were occasional. The load limit was 500 pounds of copper per animal in the team.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A 51.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 35° 6.704′ N, 84° 34.3′ W. Marker is in Reliance, Tennessee, in Polk County. Marker is on U.S. 64, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Reliance TN 37369, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ocoee Dam #1 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Ocoee No. 1 (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
also named Ocoee No. 1 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Polk County Confederate Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Polk County World Wars Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away); Polk County Veterans Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Civil War in Polk County (approx. 6.3 miles away); Nancy Ward (approx. 7.1 miles away).
 
The Halfway House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, May 29, 2010
2. The Halfway House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 175 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107963

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024