Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site)
City of Fredericksburg, Virginia
In addition to promoting education, black churchmen became politically active. In 1876, the Reverend George Dixon and a group of residents proposed a slate of black candidates for local office. None were voted in, though, and the end of Reconstruction effectively curtailed further attempts to obtain black representation. Not until 1966 was a black person elected to Fredericksburg City Council. The candidate was Reverend Lawrence A. Davies,
(caption) Reverend Lawrence A. Davies became the pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) in 1962. He became the first black to hold elected office in Fredericksburg, serving first as a councilman and then as mayor.
Erected by City of Fredericksburg.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 18.124′ N, 77° 27.445′ W. Marker was in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker was at the intersection of Sophia Street and Hanover Street, on the right when traveling south on Sophia Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) (here, next to this marker); The African Baptist Church (a few Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) (within shouting distance of this marker); c. 1785 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1831 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named 1831 (about 300 feet away); 1892 (about 300 feet away); 1866 (about 400 feet away); William Cox Residence (about 400 feet away); The sandstone blocks… (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,178 times since then and 181 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on February 13, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on June 4, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.