Bay Shore in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bay Shore 1695
purchased by John Mowbray.
Queen Anne granted patent.
Known as Awixa, Mechanics-
ville and Penataquit.
Erected 1976 by Town of Islip.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1701.
Location. 40° 43.208′ N, 73° 14.954′ W. Marker is in Bay Shore, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Main Street (Montauk Highway) east of Ocean Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay Shore NY 11706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. George S. King Park (a few steps from this marker); Site of Vitagraph Company of America (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bay Shore (approx. ¾ mile away); Still on Patrol (approx. ¾ mile away); The Silent Service (approx. ¾ mile away); The United States Life-Saving Service on Fire Island (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whale SharkDoxsee Clam Factory (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay Shore.
Also see . . . Bay Shore, New York (Wikipedia). "Bay Shore is one of the older hamlets on Long Island. Sagtikos Manor, located in West Bay Shore, was built around 1697. It was used as a British armed forces headquarters, at the time of the Battle of Long Island during the Revolutionary War. President Washington stayed at the manor during his tour of Long Island in 1790....The land that would become Bay Shore proper was purchased from the Secatogue Native Americans in 1708 by local school teacher John Mowbray for "several eel spears"....The hamlet's name has changed over time: Early European settlers referred to the area first as Penataquit and later as Awixa; both were names used by the Native American Secatogue tribe. For reasons never documented, the name was changed in the early 19th century to Sodom. In 1842 there was a further name change to Mechanicsville, then a return in 1849 to Penataquit. The name Penataquit proved unpopular because it was difficult to spell. The name of the hamlet and post office was changed to Bay Shore in 1868." (Submitted on September 18, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.