Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntington Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Presbyterian Church Cemetery

 
 
Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2008
1. Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  John Sadler deeded this land to the trustees of the Presbyterian Church of York Springs (then known as Petersburg) on October 4, 1858. The chapel was destroyed by fire in 1897 and a new church building was erected on Main Street in town. Prominent citizens buried in this cemetery include Brigadier General William Warren Stewart, along with thirty other men from York Springs. Stewart was mustered into service in front of the Presbyterian Chapel on June 7, 1861, joining other Adams countians in Gettysburg. These men formed Company K of the First Pennsylvania Reserves. Stewart's rank of Brevet Brigadier General was the highest rank attained by any Adams countian during the war.

Cared for by
Ye Old Sulphur Spa Historical Society
York Springs, PA

In memory of
Aurthur S. Wolfe
For his commitment to the
Preservation of this cemetery
Donated by
Ye Old Sulphur Spa
Historical Society

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1781.
 
Location. 40° 0.126′ N, 77° 
Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2008
2. Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
6.655′ W. Marker is in Huntington Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Old Harrisburg Road (County Route 3001) 0.1 miles south of Carlisle Pike (Pennsylvania Highway 94), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: York Springs PA 17372, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Church Episcopal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rock Chapel (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 4.3 miles away); Clear Spring Mill (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mt. Victory Church Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 5.8 miles away); Original Studebaker Wagon Shop (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Grave of General Stewart. From Find A Grave. (Submitted on August 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Presbyterian Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2008
3. Presbyterian Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10843

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 26, 2021