Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Respected Negro citizen and homeowner. Champion pioneer fiddler, popular at Forts Belknap, Griffin and Richardson and over county. Once when he was an Indian captive, held in Kansas, Texans sent ponies to ransom him. He is buried in Oaklawn, Decatur.
Born in Georgia. He served during the Civil War as body servant and voluntary battle aide to General W. L. Cabell of the Confederate Army. Vesey's courage and loyalty were typical. Hundreds of slaves went to war with masters. Many operated farms and ranches of soldiers away at war, producing cotton and food for the Confederacy. Others did work for hire, with wages supporting the master's family. On patrol duty they protected homes from Indians, bandits, outlaws.
During war years, 1861-1865, some 30,000 to 50,000 Negros - free and slaves - aided Confederate armies. They served with the Nitre and Mining Bureau and Departments of Medicine, Engineers, Quartermaster General, Ordnance and Commissary General. They built fortifications on coasts from Brownsville, Texas, to Norfolk, Virginia, and at inland points. Many were army teamsters, wheelwrights, blacksmiths, butchers,
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4194.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 14.066′ N, 97° 35.202′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on North Trinity Street (Farm to Market Road 730) south of East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south. One of three markers together at the Wise County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Vernon Terrell (here, next to this marker); Captain George W. Stevens (here, next to this marker); Wise County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Wise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Absalom Bishop (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone Prison (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.