Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain George W. Stevens
Stevens' first wife, Martha, died in 1858 and Stevens married Nancy Buchanan. During the 1860s, Stevens served as Wise County Sheriff. By the 1870s, most frontier warfare with Native Americans ended due to their resettlements on reservations. During this time, the Texas Rangers slowly transitioned from military to law enforcement.
In 1874, with the close of the post-Civil War Reconstruction Era, Stevens was designated the Captain of Company "B" of the Texas Rangers' "Frontier Battalion." The battalion, comprised of 75 members mostly from Wise County, engaged in numerous battles across the frontier in an effort to end the war for the frontier. At one such battle at Buffalo Springs in Clay County, Capt. Stevens was severely wounded. By the
In 1878, Sheriff Stevens and a local posse joined the pursuit of the famed Sam Bass outlaw gang. One member of the gang was killed in a gunfight at Salt Creek just west of Cottondale as the rest of the gang escaped. The gang was caught again a month later in Round Rock. Stevens died April 11, 1893 and is buried in Flat Rock Cemetery located five miles outside Decatur.
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18551.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 33° 14.066′ N, 97° 35.202′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on North Trinity Street (Farm to Market Road 730) south of East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Wise County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph Vesey (here, next to this marker); Charles Vernon Terrell (here, next to this marker); Wise County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Wise County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Absalom Bishop (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone Prison (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.